The Stone Age never stopped because the stones ran out. Interest in the fossilized remains of prehistoric organisms often started with uncovered ammonites or belemnites from Jurassic or chalk deposits. In prehistoric times, these fossils were collected by humans as amulets and used for medicinal purposes. Fossils have a great attraction for people and they certainly always will. Ruben Robijn is always looking for new fossils. You will understand that every fossil is unique and only 1 exists. We sell the fossils in three main groups:
- Petrified wood
- Other fossils
At De Goudsbloem, an assortment of fossils is for sale all year round. Fossils appeal to our imagination. Everything you touch is millions of years old. Our kids love it. Seeing fossil shark teeth already enraptures them.
What do we have in stock at De Goudsbloem?
- Shark teeth. From very small to the largest shark teeth. These shark teeth are available separately but are also packed with a nice display card. For the real guys they are tied to a leather thread and it can be worn around the neck.
- Orthoceras. They were beautiful beasts and these fossils are 400 million years old. The orthoceras fossils are common worldwide and are very similar to today's squid.
- Desert rose. Is a mixture of the mineral gypsum and sand grains that are embedded in the crystal lattice of the mineral. It is not a pure mineral, nor is it a rock in the strict sense. Desert roses are very popular collectibles. In complementary medicine, beneficial effects are attributed to the desert rose. It provides insight and flexibility. Works well with chronic fatigue and radiation. Gives the wearer new options and possibilities.
- Trilobites. The trilobites are among the best known fossils and are much older than the ammonites or dinosaurs and have known an enormous diversity during the Paleozoic with over 15,000 species.
- Mosasaur teeth. The Mosasaurus lived about 270 million years ago and was a lizard. They were huge. This is clearly visible in the teeth that we sell here. There are many questions about the Mosasaurus, whether or not they were a reptile. Most fossil finds were in coastal waters but also in freshwater lakes. It seems that the animal was suitable for various aquatic environments.
Ammonites are among the most beautiful fossils with their coiled shells. They are a subgenus of the Cephalopda squids). They were shellfish that were found in very large numbers in the last Paleozoic and throughout the Mesozoic. They are found as fossils.
The shell is usually made of Aragonite. Where the shell has been preserved, layers of mother-of-pearl can provide a special color palette. Small ammonites are often found in pyritised form.
Ammonites are most closely related to the squids. These animals probably had ten arms. Ammonites came in hundreds of varieties and species. They almost all have the same floor plan: a flat spiral shell.
Petrified wood is in fact a kind of fossil, in which all organic materials have been replaced by minerals such as silicates and quartz over the course of millions of years. The structure of the wood was preserved.
The process of petrification takes place underground. This is because the tree gets buried by sediment, this process of petrification can take millions of years. The groundwater that slowly seeps through the soil deposits minerals, causing the lignin and cellulose to rot.
Depending on the rot and deposition, if they go at the same speed, the shape of the cells is maintained. This allows us to distinguish the growth rings of the tree in some cases and we can see the smallest details.
We come across petrified wood in all kinds of colors due to the variation of deposits of minerals such as iron, copper, manganese etc.
Petrified wood is also attributed a healing effect. It brings the wearer zest for life and shows him the positive sides of life. Promotes detoxification and excretion.